P6 – RELATION TO PREVIOUS PATHWAY STAGES
How have previous projects helped develop this project?
- UNIT 1 – Shadow Factory: the first project of the Shadow factory enabled me to understand the process and development of a live important project, and what is needed to carry out a festival in the similar way to an exhibition. Also this unit allowed me to explore the process of researching and experimenting with ideas relating to the brief for the first time. I also became familiar with methods such as lino printing and digital work.
- UNIT 5 – Passions & Obsessions: In the second project of passions and obsessions, I was able to explore my ideas and themes more freely, and I was also able to develop the process of researching and experimenting towards creating an important final piece that would reflect the whole project, similar to the process of making the final piece of the FMP. I also developed lino printing more, and I broadened my fine art skills.
- UNIT 6 – Borders & Boundaries: In the project of borders and boundaries I understood what it took to follow your own project theme as I had to devise my own version of what borders and boundaries meant to me, similar to how I had to create my own project brief for the FMP. I also carried out in-depth research of architecture, and developed my understanding architecture in different environments and different areas of research, which has enabled me to carry out more in-depth research in this project when looking at examples of architecture that relate to my ideas.
M4 -OBJECTIVE REFLECTION OF FMP
Have I made the right choice about my final piece?
In terms of the final piece design I have chosen, I feel confident with my decision, as the other design ideas I felt were not good enough quality for me to obtain the grade I need, as they lacked a lot of skill and did not reflect my project as well as my chosen design. Also, the final piece design I chose is the best at portraying my ideas of reflection/transparency and how humans relate to architecture, as it is more appropriate for incorporating the viewer into the artwork than the other designs. When thinking about the whole project, I think this design reflects all of my research and experiments well, although all of my designs were reflective of my progress throughout the project.
D4 – SELF-CRITICAL JUDGEMENT OF SUCCESS
- Research process: When researching the artists, architecture and architects in this project, I have learned new art techniques and methods that I have never used before, and I have learned that architecture is much more than just the facade. I have also developed my researching skills and I looked more at the artwork/architecture than the artist/architect’s life story, which I have done in previous projects. In terms of the final piece and as reflection of the FMP, the sources I have researched have been helpful, and have overall developed my understanding of fine art and architecture, and have formed my ideas of what my final piece would be along the four questions that I used as outlines throughout the FMP.
- Influences of experiments towards final piece: After researching different artists/architects and based on the questions I asked myself, I produced copies and experiments that had running themes of reflection/transparency, images of architecture and how humans relate to architecture. These experiments also allowed me to eliminate different art techniques and processes that I would and wouldn’t consider using for the final piece, which meant that towards the end of my experimentations I was definite about what techniques I would be using.
- Success of FMP: Overall, aside from the exhibition and final piece itself, the FMP I feel has been very successful, consistent and has enabled me to develop my understanding of both architecture and fine art materials, techniques and processes. Most of my experiments are good quality, I have carried out in-depth research relating to my thought process of the project, and my final piece design process clearly shows where I gained my influences and inspirations from, and how I will make and present the final piece in the exhibition.
D5 – CHALLENGE OF ART PRACTICE
Have I discussed and challenged ideas in art?
Mostly with my artists copies, I have created my own interpretation of their work, and converted their techniques and processes into my own work that represents my style and thought process regarding the final piece. I have also created experiments that use simple techniques such as poly tile printing, but changing the process to fit my ideas like printing onto mirrors instead of paper. I believe that this shows that I am challenging ideas and practices in art, and overall my work is different because of the focus on architecture in my work that is portrayed in my artwork and is the main subject, contrary to traditional fine artwork that focuses on people or landscapes for example.